Do you remember the heat in the streets during summer 2019? ☀️ Well, emissions need to decrease 7% every year during next decade to prevent an increasing number of such heat waves. Breathe, don't worry too much. 🌱 Belgian municipalities got your back and were working together on ambitious climate plans with FutureproofedCities this year. 🤝 Join us to reflect what happened in 2019 and what we can learn to start 2020 as climate heroes! 🦸♀️
FutureproofedCities without borders
Climate change doesn't know borders, neither do we. This year we crossed language and country borders to honour our mission: making cities more attractive and futureproofed.
🚀 FPC is growing and goes international in 2019
- 38 cities in Namur province, 1 in Hainaut, 2 municipalities in Brussels, and 1 in France joined Futureproofed this year. Bienvenue! 🇧🇪🇫🇷
- 13 municipalities in Valencia, Spain were part of a successful pilot project. ¡Venga! 🇪🇸
- One city in South East Europe: Skopje, Macedonia. 🇲🇰
- Our team grew from 10 to 17 people to back your city up. 👨👩👧👦
💪Year of action on the ground
- Collectively, FPC cities saved more than 279k tons of CO2. That's as much as driving a car 28 times around the Earth or the weight of 38 Eiffel towers. 🌍
- The 256 public measures from 109 FPC users saved more than €135 M. 💰That's enough to buy 3 thousand Tesla model 3. 🚘
- We recorded more than 583 public climate actions, covering a scope of 5.3 million inhabitants. A large number to be proud of! 🎉
Climate action best practices of 2019
⚡ Renewable energy scales up
- Bruges ensures a minimum of 35% citizen participation when installing new wind turbines. Power to the people!
- Courtray allows its citizens to invest in solar panels on governmental roofs, profiting from the value of the energy production.
- The Province of Namur explores Energy Performance Contracts in 20 municipalities. As they told us during the FPC Talk 6.
🚌Transport continues to diversify
- Peer offers a bicycle loan system for children to have affordable bikes for everybody. Because children grow, but bikes not.
- Hasselt gets great feedback when installing handy bicycle lockers. They're planning to build even more!
- Lommel brings successfully solutions for charging electric cars. Discover them around the corner...
🏘️Buildings are getting smarter
- Kampenhout continues successful energy advices via thermographical pictures.
- Vilvoorde takes energy scans to the next level via their WOON+bus.
- Hechtel-Eksel joins forces to offer a handy course for citizens around sustainable living.
We had your back in 2019
- This year we learned that convincing colleagues of other city services is crucial. We brought you lists of climate actions for inspiring you and your colleagues from other city services. 🤲
- From now on, co-benefits are available in the tool to make use and unleash the potential of multisolving. 💡 Start making short-term benefits visible for your citizens!
- In 2019 we learned that our users struggle half as much as non-users when it comes to financing climate actions or following them up. 🙌
Getting ready for a radical transformation
2019 was a year of many learnings and realisations. In 2020, we will continue bringing the best product and support for your city's climate journey. 🚀
We have 10 years to radically transform our societies. The arena is set to take on this challenge and use it for making our cities livable and green (again). Brace yourselves that 2020 is coming with exciting actions! 😊💪
FutureproofedCities allows all municipal services to work together on a single online tool to carry out more climate actions and communicate them to their citizens.
🙌 Feel like not wanting to miss the action in 2020? Sign up for a monthly dose of inspiration!